Use the information on page 115 to explain how step function’s apply to postage rates. Explain why a step function is the best model for this situation while your gas mileage as a function of time as you drive to the post office cannot be modeled with a step function. Then graph the function that represents the cost of a first-class letter.Find page 115 attached2-6
GET READY for the Lesson
• Identify and graph
step, constant, and
• Identify and graph
absolute value and
The cost of the postage to mail a letter
is a function of the weight of the letter.
But the function is not linear. It is a
special function called a step
For letters with weights between
whole numbers, the cost “steps up” to
the next higher cost. So the cost to mail
a 1.5-ounce letter is the same as the cost
to mail a 2-ounce letter, $0.63.
greatest integer function
absolute value function
Step Functions, Constant Functions, and the Identity Function The
graph of a step function is not linear. It consists of line segments or rays.
The greatest integer function, written f(x) = [x], is an example of a step
function. The symbol [x] means the greatest integer less than or equal to x.
For example, [7.3] = 7 and [-1.5] = –2 because –1 > -1.5.
f(x) = [x]
Notice that the domain
of this step function is
all real numbers and
the range is all
A dot means that the
point is included in
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.