Writing in Math Use the information on page 603 to explain how systems of equations apply to video games. Include a linear quadratic system of equations that applies to this situation and the coordinates of the point at which the spaceship will hit the force field, assuming that the spaceship moves from the bottom of the screen toward the center.10-7
Solving Quadratic Systems
. Solve systems of
• Solve systems of
GET READY for the Lesson
Suppose you are playing a
computer game in which an enemy
space station is located at the origin
in a coordinate system. The space
station is surrounded by a circular
force field of radius 50 units. If the
spaceship you control is flying
toward the center along the line
with equation y = 3x, the point
where the ship hits the force field is
a solution of a system of equations.
Systems of Quadratic Equations If the graphs of a system of equations
are a conic section and a line, the system may have zero, one, or two
solutions. Some of the possible situations are shown below.
To review solving
systems of linear
You have solved systems of linear equations phically and
algebraically. You can use similar methods to solve systems involving
EXAMPLE Linear-Quadratic System
Solve the system of equations.
x2 – 4y = 9
4y – x= 3
You can use a graphing calculator to help visualize the relationships of
the graphs of the equations and predict the number of solutions.
Solve each equation for y to obtain
y=+ and y = 1* + Enter
on the Y= screen. The graph indicates that the
hyperbola and line intersect in two points. So
the system has two solutions.
(-10,10] scl: 1 by -10,1081
(continued on the next page)
Lesson 10-7 Solving Quadratic Systems 603
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.